Three years ago this month, WONDERSKIN developed our very first product, the Wonder Blading Peel & Reveal Lip Stain. We knew back then that our game-changing formula delivers the most flawless, comfortable long-lasting lip color—but even we can’t believe just how much it’s taken off.
With 150 million views on social media, over 10 million likes on TikTok, and prestigious accolades like the Allure Best of Beauty Breakthrough Award and People Magazine’s Worth The Hype Award, we’re blown away by all the love for Wonder Blading Lips. And we’re so appreciative of all your shares, likes, comments, and amazing content that you’ve created around the product.
To celebrate our lip hero’s third anniversary, we’re sharing the best tips along with some of our favorite fan videos for applying the Wonder Blading Lip Stain so you too can have the most gorgeous color experience—and perhaps create a viral makeup moment of your own.
How Wonder Blading works
Before we dive into the main event, a quick refresh on what makes the Wonder Blading Lip Stain formulas different and better than most traditional long-wear lip color.
Many lip stains use alcohol to help the color absorb into lips, which dries out the skin. We developed a patented technology called Liquid Blading that rapidly infuses a high concentration of pigments and dyes into the top layer of lips without any alcohol—and with plenty of hydrating ingredients so you get even, saturated color that lasts while your lips feel soft and nourished.
The shade becomes waterproof and won’t budge, transfer, feather, or need any touch-ups. Best of all, the Wonder Blading Lip products are vegan, paraben-free, PFAs-free, gluten-free, and never tested on animals.
Choose your favorite way to Wonder Blade
We originally created Wonder Blading Lips as a two-step stain but soon noticed that the color is just as flawless if you apply the Lip Stain Masque only, so you can decide which method works best for you. We created this video to show a side-by-side comparison of both applications, and we break out the details of each one below.
Whichever technique you use, remember that the longer you leave the Lip Stain Masque on your lips, the richer and more vibrant the shade will be. For a soft tint like in this TikTok, let the Masque sit for only 10 to 15 seconds; for bolder color like Hayley Bui shows off using the shade she co-created, wait 30 to 45 seconds.
The Peel & Reveal is the two-step process for the ultimate long-wear, waterproof effect plus the fun peel-off moment. Just follow these steps, and check out Lulu Kehlani's (@lulukehlani) TikTok demo to see how it's done.
- Step 1: Swipe on several layers of the Lip Stain Masque until your lips are completely covered and there’s no bare skin visible. Let the formula sit on your lips for 10 to 15 seconds or, for bolder color, wait 30 to 45 seconds.
- Step 2: Spray 1 to 3 mists of the Activator on your lips (to catch drips, hold a tissue or the cloth that comes in the kit against your chin). This immediately transforms the gloss-like Masque into a solid film.
- Step 3: Grab the solid film Masque at either corner of your mouth and peel it off to reveal the color beneath.
It may take some practice to peel off the Masque in one or two complete pieces (Kyra of @notkyraslooks nails it in this TikTok), so if there are any bits leftover on your mouth, use the cloth or a tissue to wipe them off.
The quickie one-step Stain & Go method—demoed here by Lalaine (@lalainemkd)—will give you the same gorgeous, even color as the two-step version, just with slightly less long-wear staying power.
· Swipe on several layers of the Lip Stain Masque until your lips are completely covered and there’s no bare skin visible. Let the formula sit on your lips for 15 to 30 seconds or, for bolder color, wait 30 to 45 seconds.
· Wipe off the Masque with a damp tissue or dark washcloth.
· Repeat this process if you want to intensify the color.
Know the do’s and don’ts
Whether you Stain & Go or Peel & Reveal, a few tricks will ensure that your Wonder Blading lip color comes out smooth, even, and stunning, and lasts for as long as possible.
- · DO exfoliate your lips first to create a smooth surface for receiving color. Our Wonder Blading 3-in-1 Lip Scrub is designed to prep the lips perfectly for the Lip Stain Masque—here's why.
- · DO start with clean, bare lips. The Masque won’t adhere properly if you already have on lipstick or gloss, so clean your lips thoroughly with makeup remover (simply wiping off the color with a tissue won’t cut it as there could still be product remnants on your lips). Wait a few minutes for the skin to dry before you put on the Lip Masque.
- · DO apply several thick layers of the Lip Stain Masque—even if you want sheer color. If you skimp on the Masque, the color may come out blotchy. Load up the layers until your lips are completely covered and there’s no skin peeking through. Then, if you want more of a sheer finish, leave the Masque on for a shorter duration, like 10 to 15 seconds, rather than the full 30 to 45 seconds.
- · DO keep your mouth closed while the Masque sets. We know it looks cute in content videos to make a big wow expression while the purple Masque is doing its thing, but moving your mouth during this moment may cause the formula to shift around, resulting in uneven color.
- · DON’T glob on gooey lip balm right beforehand. If you want to hydrate your lips before you Wonder Blade, dab on a tiny bit of plain, solid lip balm (like Chapstick) and give it five minutes to fully absorb before you apply the Lip Stain.
- · DON’T press or rub your lips together to distribute the Masque. Again, we know it's adorable on video to smack your lips together, but doing so can mess up the final color.
- · DON’T bother fanning your lips with your hand while the Masque is setting. We see this move a lot on TikTok and FYI, it won’t help the formula set any faster.
- · DON’T overdo it on the Activator. 1 to 3 mists of the spray across your mouth are all you need to lock in the color, we swear. Any more than that is just needlessly wasting precious product.
We hope these pointers are useful, and keep those Wonder Blading Lip videos and posts coming—we love seeing all the gorgeous, creative ways you style our shades!